Recipes Right for Your Family
Have a picky eater? Short on time? Sort recipes by kid-friendly, prep time and more.
Use filters to find meals and snacks that fit your preferences.
White Bean Basil Chicken Chili
- 1 pound boneless chicken pieces
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 large lime
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil
- 2 (15½-ounce) cans great northern beans, no salt added
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Can opener
- Cutting board
- Large pot with lid
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Sharp knife
- Small bowl
- Remove any skin and excess fat from chicken pieces. Cut chicken into ½-inch cubes.
- Rinse, peel, and finely chop onion. Peel and mince garlic.
- Rinse tomato. Remove core and seeds. Chop.
- Rinse lime. Cut in half. In a small bowl, squeeze juice from one half. Discard seeds.
- Rinse and chop cilantro and basil.
- In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. If onion or garlic start to brown, lower heat.
- Add chicken, beans, broth, spices, tomato, lime juice, basil, and cilantro. Stir. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- If using, top with red pepper flakes.
- Use any canned beans you like in place of great northern beans.
- Serve over a bed of cooked greens like spinach, kale, or chard. Or, serve over brown rice.
- For a different flavor, use Thai basil instead of regular basil.