Recipes Right for Your Family
Have a picky eater? Short on time? Sort recipes by kid-friendly, prep time and more.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 (8-ounce) chunk part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- ¾ teaspoon dried basil, divided
- ¾ teaspoon dried parsley, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce, no salt added
- 2 small bowls
- Baking sheet
- Can opener
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Sharp knife
- Small skillet
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut mozzarella chunk in half. Then, cut each half into about 6 sticks. While you prepare remaining ingredients, freeze mozzarella sticks at least 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs with a fork until well blended.
- In a second small bowl, mix breadcrumbs with ½ teaspoon dried oregano, ½ teaspoon dried basil, and ½ teaspoon dried parsley.
- Dip each frozen mozzarella stick into beaten egg mixture, then into seasoned breadcrumbs. Repeat once more until each stick is coated well.
- Place breaded mozzarella sticks on baking sheet. Spray them lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Bake until lightly browned, about 5–8 minutes.
- In a small skillet, add tomato sauce and remaining ¼ teaspoon dried oregano, ¼ teaspoon dried basil, and ¼ teaspoon dried parsley. Stir to combine. Warm over low heat while mozzarella sticks are baking.
- Serve mozzarella sticks with warmed tomato sauce.
- String cheese may have a better unit price than mozzarella in chunk form.
- The cheese may ooze through the coating as the sticks bake. While still warm, gently press melted cheese back into the stick. It will harden as it cools down.
- Instead of using canned tomato sauce, make your own.