Recipes Right for Your Family
Have a picky eater? Short on time? Sort recipes by kid-friendly, prep time and more.
Use filters to find meals and snacks that fit your preferences.
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, no salt added
- Box grater
- Can opener
- Cutting board
- Medium pot with lid
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing spoon
- Sharp knife
- Vegetable peeler
- Peel and rinse onion, garlic, and carrot.
- Dice onion. Shred carrot using a grater. Mince garlic.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, garlic, and carrot. Cook until onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add ground turkey or lean ground beef to make a meat sauce. Cook meat and drain fat. Add veggies and proceed with recipe.
- Make a double batch of sauce. Freeze extra for later use.
- Add diced zucchini, peppers, mushrooms, or other vegetables if you like.
- Try adding 1-2 Tablespoons of balsamic vinegar with the spices, for a different flavor.
- Serve over whole grain pasta. Or, use in place of canned tomato sauce in other recipes.