Serves 6, 1 cup per serving
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- 2 medium bananas
- 2 kiwis
- 1 (15 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice
- 3 Tablespoons mint leaves
- ½ cup shredded, toasted coconut
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- Can opener
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing spoon
- Sharp knife
- Small pot
1. Thaw frozen fruit in the refrigerator until no longer hard, but still cool to the touch.
2. Peel and slice bananas and kiwis.
3. If using, rinse and chop mint leaves.
4. Drain canned pineapple, reserving juice.
5. In a large bowl, add bananas, kiwis, pineapple, and thawed fruit. Mix.
6. In a small pot over medium heat, add reserved pineapple juice. Stir. Heat until juice forms a sauce, about 5 minutes. Allow sauce to cool for 5-10 minutes.
7. Pour sauce over fruit salad. Mix to coat fruit. If using, mix in mint, coconut, and almonds.
- Use any fruits you like. To cut costs, choose fruits in season or on sale.
- Choose frozen and canned fruit in juice and with no added sugar.
- To toast coconut: Heat oven to 300°F. Place coconut shreds on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake for 5 minutes or until light brown.
- Try serving for breakfast. Use as a topping for oatmeal or plain, nonfat yogurt.
- Use leftover frozen fruit in Fruit Smoothies.