Serves 2, 1 sandwich per serving
- 1 small tomato
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 whole wheat English muffins
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- Pinch salt
- 1 small avocado
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Medium skillet with lid
- Rubber spatula
- Sharp knife
1. Rinse and slice tomato into 4 slices. Rinse spinach. If using avocado, peel, remove pit, and slice now.
2. Split each muffin in half. Set muffin tops aside.
3. In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat oil.
4. Gently break eggs into skillet. Be careful not to break the yolk. Cook about 1 minute. Carefully flip each egg over with a rubber spatula. Cook until yolk is slightly firm, about 1–2 minutes. Top each muffin bottom with cooked egg.
5. Add spinach to skillet with a splash of water and pinch of salt. Cover and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes.
6. Top the egg with tomato and spinach. If using avocado, add avocado slices now. Cover with the muffin tops to make a sandwich.
- Scramble the eggs instead of frying, if you like.
- Try toasting the muffins in a toaster or in the oven set to broil before adding eggs and toppings.
- Top cooked eggs with sliced low-fat cheese or turkey bacon. Cook 1 slice turkey bacon in skillet for 1 minute on each side. Break into pieces and add to muffin.