Recipes Right for Your Family
Have a picky eater? Short on time? Sort recipes by kid-friendly, prep time and more.
- ¼ red onion
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1 medium lime
- 2 medium, ripe avocados
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Medium bowl
- Sharp knife
- Peel onion and garlic clove. Rinse tomatoes.
- If using, rinse cilantro. Pluck leaves from stems. Tear into small pieces.
- Mince onion and garlic. Dice tomatoes into ¼-inch pieces.
- Rinse lime and cut in half. In a medium bowl, squeeze juice from each half. Discard seeds.
- Cut avocados in half. Remove pits. Using a large spoon, scoop out flesh and add to bowl with juice.
- Add salt to avocado. If using cumin, add now. Mash well with a fork.
- Add onion, garlic, and tomatoes to avocado mixture. If using cilantro, add now. Stir well.
- Serve as a dip with Homemade Corn Tortilla Chips, whole grain pita wedges, or fresh veggies. Add ¼ cup serving of carrot sticks, broccoli florets, celery sticks, jicama sticks, or turnip sticks to have a full veggie component for snack.
- The lime keeps the avocados from turning brown. Keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator to maintain look and taste for a couple of days.