Recipes Right for Your Family
Have a picky eater? Short on time? Sort recipes by kid-friendly, prep time and more.
Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti (1/2 (16-ounce) package)
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey or beef
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce, no salt added
- Large pot
- Large saucepan with lid
- Sharp knife
- Medium mixing bowl
- Cutting board
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring spoons
- Can opener
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. In a colander, rinse with cool water and drain well.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, peel onion and garlic. Finely chop onion and mince garlic. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg with a fork. Add turkey, flour, onion powder, garlic powder salt, pepper and 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning. Mix well. With damp hands, roll about 1 Tablespoon of meat into a ball to make 20 meatballs. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning. Stir constantly for 30 seconds. Add tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and add meatballs. Cook, partially covered, for 10 minutes without stirring (stirring before the meatballs “set” may break them up into the sauce).
- Gently stir and cook, partially covered, until the meatballs are just cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Serve over spaghetti.
- Try doubling the recipe (cook the meatballs and sauce in a large pot) and freeze half for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat on the stovetop or microwave until hot. Serve over freshly cooked pasta.
- If you don’t have Italian seasoning, use 2 teaspoons each dried basil and oregano instead.
- Make your own Tomato Sauce.