Recipes Right for Your Family
Have a picky eater? Short on time? Sort recipes by kid-friendly, prep time and more.
Use filters to find meals and snacks that fit your preferences.
Pasta with Beans and Greens
- 1 (16-ounce) package whole wheat pasta
- 2 medium onions
- 1 medium carrot
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 2 pounds (1 large bunch) spinach or kale
- 2 (15½-ounce) cans great northern, cannellini, or lima beans
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Can opener
- Cutting board
- Large pot
- Large skillet
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Sharp knife
- Vegetable peeler
- Cook pasta following package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water. Set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, rinse, peel, and dice onions and carrot. Peel and mince garlic.
- Rinse greens, more than once if needed to remove all grit. Remove tough stems. Chop coarsely.
- In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, heat oil. Add garlic, carrot, onion, and greens. Cook until onions are soft.
- Add ½ cup reserved pasta water and seasonings. Cook until greens are tender.
- Add beans to greens. If needed, add a little more reserved pasta water to make a sauce.
- Add cooked pasta to beans and greens. Toss to combine. Cook until pasta is heated through, about 5 more minutes.
- For extra flavor, top with hot sauce or grated Parmesan cheese.
- Use Swiss chard or any of your favorite hearty greens.
- Use olive oil instead of canola oil, if you like.