Recipes Right for Your Family
Have a picky eater? Short on time? Sort recipes by kid-friendly, prep time and more.
Bow Tie Pasta with Zucchini Sauce
- 2 cups whole wheat bow tie pasta
- 1 small clove garlic
- 2 medium zucchini (10 ounces by weight, about 2/3 of a pound)
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- Box grater
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Large pot
- Large skillet
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing spoon
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Prepare zucchini sauce while pasta is cooks.
- Peel and mince garlic.
- Rinse and grate zucchini. Measure 2 cups grated zucchini.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add zucchini and minced garlic. Cook until mixture softens and zucchini yields some liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Drain pasta, reserving ½ cup cooking liquid.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons cooking liquid to zucchini mixture. Add drained pasta. Stir, coating pasta evenly with sauce. Add more pasta water as needed.
- Transfer pasta to large bowl for serving. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Use yellow squash in place of the zucchini. Or, use a mix of both.
- For faster cooking, grate zucchini in advance. Refrigerate until you are ready to cook.
- Make a simple pasta salad. Mix raw grated zucchini with cooked and cooled pasta, canola oil, mint, basil, or other herbs.
- Add more veggies in step 4 if you like. Try diced carrots or tomatoes, peas, or corn.
- Try using different pasta shapes.