Recipes Right for Your Family
Have a picky eater? Short on time? Sort recipes by kid-friendly, prep time and more.
- 1 medium carrot, small sweet potato, or small zucchini
- ¼ medium head lettuce
- 2 large tomatoes
- 7 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 (15½-ounce) can low-sodium pinto beans
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 (15½-ounce) can chopped or crushed tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 taco shells
- Box grater
- Can opener
- Cutting board
- Large skillet
- Measuring spoons
- Sharp knife
- Vegetable peeler
- Rinse, peel, and grate carrot, sweet potato, or zucchini (if using zucchini, grate but do not peel). Squeeze dry with paper towels.
- Rinse and shred lettuce. Rinse, core, and chop tomatoes.
- Grate cheese.
- In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
- Coat a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Heat over medium high heat. Add turkey and brown.
- Add grated veggies, beans, canned tomatoes, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Stir well.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cook until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Add 2 Tablespoons cooked meat mixture to each taco shell. Top each with 1 Tablespoon grated cheese, 1 Tablespoon shredded lettuce, and 1 Tablespoon fresh tomatoes.
- Top tacos with any of your favorite veggies, hot sauce, salsa, low-fat sour cream, or low-fat plain yogurt.
- Use any type of cooked beans you like.
- Make soft tacos using corn or whole wheat tortillas. Or, serve over brown rice or Confetti Pepper Cornbread.
- For more heat, add minced hot peppers to sauce in step 6.