Serves 8, 1/4 cup per serving
- ¼ red onion
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1 medium lime
- 2 medium, ripe avocados
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Medium bowl
- Sharp knife
1. Peel onion and garlic clove. Rinse tomatoes.
2. If using, rinse cilantro. Pluck leaves from stems. Tear into small pieces.
3. Mince onion and garlic. Dice tomatoes into ¼-inch pieces.
4. Rinse lime and cut in half. In a medium bowl, squeeze juice from each half. Discard seeds.
5. Cut avocados in half. Remove pits. Using a large spoon, scoop out flesh and add to bowl with juice.
6. Add salt to avocado. If using cumin, add now. Mash well with a fork.
7. Add onion, garlic, and tomatoes to avocado mixture. If using cilantro, add now. Stir well.
- Serve as a dip with Homemade Corn Tortilla Chips, whole grain pita wedges, or fresh veggies. Add ¼ cup serving of carrot sticks, broccoli florets, celery sticks, jicama sticks, or turnip sticks to have a full veggie component for snack.
- The lime keeps the avocados from turning brown. Keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator to maintain look and taste for a couple of days.