Serves 10, 1/4 cup per serving
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 large lemon
- 1 (15½-ounce) can garbanzo beans
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 Tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 fresh red pepper, or 3 roasted red peppers from a jar
- Pinch ground cumin, ground cayenne pepper, or red pepper flakes
- Can opener
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Sharp knife
- Small bowl
1. Peel and chop garlic. If using fresh red pepper, rinse, remove core and seeds, and mince now. Or, mince jarred roasted peppers.
2. Rinse lemon and cut in half. In a small bowl, squeeze juice. Discard seeds.
3. In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
4. Add garlic, lemon juice, beans, and remaining ingredients to blender. If using optional spices, add now. Blend until creamy and well mixed.
5. If using, top hummus with minced red pepper.