Serves 8, 1 slice per serving
- 1½ pounds seasonal vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, turnips, or bell peppers
- 2 medium onions
- 4 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese
- 12 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon dried dill, thyme, or oregano
- Non-stick cooking spray
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, thyme, or basil leaves
- 9-by-13-inch baking dish
- Box grater
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Large pot
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Medium skillet
- Rubber spatula
- Sharp knife
- Food thermometer
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Rinse and cut seasonal veggies evenly into small pieces. Peel, rinse, and dice onions. If using, slice mushrooms and rinse and chop fresh herbs.
3. Grate cheddar cheese.
4. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add seasonal veggies to boiling water. Briefly boil, about 30 seconds. Using a colander, drain the veggies.
5. In a large bowl, whip eggs with a fork until well blended. Whisk in dried herbs. Set aside.
6. Coat medium skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Heat over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. If using mushrooms, add now. Add boiled seasonal veggies. Continue cooking until soft and some of their juices have evaporated, about 5 minutes more.
7. Coat 9-by-13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
8. Layer ingredients in the baking dish in the following order: veggie mixture, egg mixture, cheese, salt, and pepper.
9. Bake until eggs are firm and cheese is melted, about 35 minutes. A thermometer inserted in the middle should read 160°F.
10. If using, garnish with chopped fresh herbs.
11. Cut into 8 equal-size portions.
- Use any of your favorite fresh or frozen veggies in this recipe. Cook harder veggies first.
- Fresh veggies can be steamed until crisp-tender instead of boiled. Frozen veggies should be boiled as in step 4.
- Cut frittata into portions and freeze for future meals, up to 1 month.
- To make quick, individual portions, layer eggs, cheese, and veggies in a well-oiled muffin pan. Bake about 30 minutes, testing to see that mini frittatas spring back when lightly touched.
- If you do not have an oven, cook on the stove top over medium heat. Stir eggs into onions and mushrooms after step 6, along with other veggies. Keep stirring to set eggs. Cover skillet and cook on low until completely cooked through, about 25 minutes.