Serves 6, 1/2 cup per serving
- 2 large ripe mangoes
- 1 small cucumber
- 2 medium green onions
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper
- 2 medium limes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 medium bell pepper
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons
- Medium bowl
- Plastic wrap
- Sharp knife
1. Rinse mangoes, cucumber, green onions, jalapeño pepper, limes, and bell pepper, if using.
2. Peel mangoes. Cut mango flesh from the pits.
3. Cut cucumber in half lengthwise. Remove seeds. If using bell pepper, cut in half lengthwise. Remove stems and seeds.
4. Dice mangoes, cucumber, and bell pepper, if using. Finely chop green onions.
5. Cut jalapeño pepper in half lengthwise. Remove stems and seeds and dice.
6. If using, rinse and chop cilantro.
7. Cut limes in half. Squeeze juice from each half into a medium bowl. Discard seeds.
8. Add mangoes, cucumber, green onions, jalapeño, salt, and cayenne pepper to bowl with juice. If using, add bell pepper and cilantro. Mix well.
9. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
- Mangoes usually feel a little softer when ripe. If mangoes are not in season or not in your store, use canned peaches or pineapple, packed in juice. Drain before using.
- Serve salsa as a dip with Homemade Corn Tortilla Chips. Or, use as a topping for fresh fish or pork, black bean soup, or tacos.