Serves 6, 1 1/3 cups per serving
- 2 cups whole wheat macaroni
- 1 small bell pepper
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese (3/4 cup shredded)
- 1 pound lean 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Large pot
- Large skillet with lid
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Sharp knife
- Measuring spoons
- Cutting board
- Can opener
- Cheese grater
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. In a colander, drain macaroni and rinse with cool water.
2. While macaroni is cooking, rinse and dice bell pepper. Peel and finely chop onion. Peel and mince garlic. Set aside.
3. Grate cheese. Set aside.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook turkey, onion, bell pepper and garlic, crumbling the beef with a wooden spoon or spatula, until the meat is no longer pink, about 15 minutes. Using a colander, drain off fat.
5. Return to the skillet and stir in drained macaroni, tomatoes with juices, thyme, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook over medium heat until cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Plenty of vegetables could be added to this dish—let your imagination soar! Try fresh or frozen peas, peppers, spinach or other dark leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini or summer squash.