Serves 9, 1/9 of recipe per serving
- 2 cups whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 medium green onions
- 1 (14½-ounce) can pink salmon in water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons dried dill or dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 9-inch square baking dish
- Can opener
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Large pot
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing spoon
- Sharp knife
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Boil the pasta according to package directions. Drain in a colander. Run under water until cool to the touch, to keep noodles from sticking together.
3. Rinse and finely chop green onions.
4. Drain canned salmon. In a large bowl, mix salmon, pasta, green onions, peas, yogurt, dill or parsley, salt, and black pepper.
5. Transfer pasta mixture to a 9-inch square baking dish.
6. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over pasta mixture. Bake 25-30 minutes, until bubbling and golden.
- Try using 1 (12-ounce) can low-sodium tuna in water instead of the salmon.
- Kick up the flavor by adding a pinch of ground cayenne pepper to the pasta mixture. Or, top with hot sauce when served.