Recipes Right for Your Family
Have a picky eater? Short on time? Sort recipes by kid-friendly, prep time and more.
Herb Roasted Chicken with Vegetables
- 1 pound carrots
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pound root vegetables, such as red potatoes, beets, turnips, rutabagas, or parsnips
- 1 large lemon
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon salt 11. ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken pieces
- 1 teaspoon fresh or ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- Baking sheet
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing spoon
- Sharp knife
- Slotted spoon
- Vegetable peeler
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Rinse and peel carrots and onion. Peel garlic. Rinse and peel root veggies (if using potatoes, leave the skin on).
- Cut onion into quarters. Cut each quarter in half. Chop garlic. Dice carrots and other root veggies into ½-inch pieces.
- Rinse lemon and cut in half. In a large bowl, squeeze juice. Discard seeds.
- Add vegetables, water, oil, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper to bowl. If using rosemary, add now. Toss to combine.
- Use your hands or a slotted spoon to transfer vegetables to a baking sheet. Leave marinade in the bowl. Place baking sheet in oven. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While veggies bake, toss chicken in the remaining marinade. Let sit at room temperature about 10 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven. Add chicken pieces on top of veggies. Return to oven.
- Continue roasting until chicken is cooked through and a food thermometer reads 165°F, about 40 minutes more. As the chicken roasts, use a mixing spoon to baste chicken and turn vegetables about every 15 minutes. Baste by pouring juices from the baking sheet over the chicken.
- Serve immediately.
- Try serving over brown rice or whole wheat couscous.
- Use the same method and marinade to roast veggies on their own.
- For a fish and vegetable dinner, top roasted veggies with fillets of seasoned fish in the last 10 minutes of cooking.