Our Commitment to Privacy
This Policy may be changed or updated from time to time. By visiting Share Our Strength and its campaigns at one of our websites, using one of our mobile apps, or participating in an event, you accept the practices described in this Policy.
The Data We Collect
Our websites and mobile apps provide convenient ways for you to access our services and learn about important Share Our Strength and Cooking Matters Campaign opportunities and events. We collect information about our online visitors and Cooking Matters app users, both directly from our visitors and indirectly from other companies that provide data to us. We use this information to communicate with our supporters and clients and process their transactions. We also collect information about our participants when they register for or engage in one of our activities. We may share your personal information with service contractors, with select not-for-profit organizations, and with some commercial vendors. Except as described below, you may opt-out from having your information shared and receiving future communications from Share Our Strength and its campaigns by contacting us at email@example.com.
When you make a financial contribution, register for a class or special event, sign up to volunteer, or apply for a job, we may ask you for your name, address, phone number(s), and other information relevant to the transaction. We will ask for standard credit card information when you make a financial donation, pay for a special event, or make a purchase.
We also obtain information about our online visitors, in-person participants, and donors from other sources as well. For example, we engage vendors that provide contact information and other data. We use this data to help us engage with people who may be interested in participating in other Share Our Strength activities or contributing to Share Our Strength’s mission.
We also collect non-personal information about our online visitors using “cookies”, pixels, web beacons, and other technologies that operate automatically when you visit our website. We use this information to give our website visitors a more relevant online experience and to help us make website improvements. The information helps us understand which parts of our websites are the most popular, where our online visitors are going, and how long they spend there. If you do not want us to collect information using cookies, you can disable this function in your browser. If you block cookies from us, however, you may not be able to see personalized content and our website may not function optimally.
When you choose to engage in any of the following special activities, you are agreeing to allow some use of your personal information. To opt-out from additional uses, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Participate in an Action Alert - When you take action to support anti-hunger initiatives, such as participating in an Action Alert or sending a letter to your Senator, Share Our Strength may send your personal information, such as your name and residential address, to the target of the action (e.g., a member of Congress, a government agency).
- Download the Cooking Matters Mobile App - Share Our Strength will ask you to provide personal information, collected in the onboarding screens. These screens are completely optional and may be skipped.
- Enter a Contest or Sweepstakes - Share Our Strength collects personal information from you when you participate in sweepstakes, contests or special offers. If this information is also being collected by a third party, such as a co-sponsor, we will notify you at the time.
- Engage on a Blog or Other Social Media Site - Share Our Strength maintains presence on several social networking and blogging platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter, and we also incorporate some third party social networking features into our downloadable apps and websites. This policy applies to our use of information you submit to us, but it does not apply to what Facebook or any other third party platforms do with your information. Those platforms have their own privacy policies, and we encourage you to read them.
- Mobile Text Messaging - Share Our Strength collects your mobile telephone number when you opt in to receive messages from us via your mobile device. To opt-out from receiving text messages, you can text the word STOP to 877-877.
- Events - Share Our Strength may collect information about your preferences during our hosted events and share that information with third party vendors. The option to opt-out from having your information shared with third party vendors will be provided at the time of sale for the event.
We Care About Doing it Right
Share Our Strength and the Cooking Matters campaign are committed to accuracy and precision in processing your information. We have procedures to check for errors, and our systems are periodically audited to make sure we process your information securely and accurately.
If you need to contact us to review your information or make corrections, please contact us at email@example.com.
How We Secure Data
We use a variety of security measures to protect your data. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to help prevent unauthorized access to and improper use of personally identifiable information.
We protect the security of credit card transactions using a number of measures such as encryption, access controls, network firewalls, and physical security. These measures make it extremely difficult for anyone to intercept the credit card information you send to us. When we work with other companies to process credit card transactions, those companies also use encryption and other appropriate security measures.
No website or electronic data can ever be completely secure, but we are always working to maintain up-to-date and appropriate security mechanisms.
How We Use Your Information
If you provide Share Our Strength and its campaigns with personal information when you visit our websites, use our mobile apps, volunteer, or attend an event in person, we may use the information in our programs and activities. We may enter your information into one of our databases so we can contact you to obtain your input, provide information about our programs and events, request donations, or provide a more personalized online experience.
On occasion, Share Our Strength and its campaigns may share your information with our vendors and other partners that help us with our activities and programs. For example, we share information with vendors that help us fulfill orders, manage data, and process donations and credit card payments. These vendors are bound by strict confidentiality rules and are permitted to use the information only to support Share Our Strength operations. We also disclose information as required by law.
We may also share your personal information with third party ad servers, with select not-for-profit organizations, and with some commercial vendors.
- Third Party Ad Servers - We may work with data providers to target advertising to you personally, through online and offline methods including email, display media and direct mail. This advertising may be directed to you because you visited or logged in to our website. When we generate this advertising, data we collect from you through online cookies and other technologies may be combined with other de-identified data (such as a hashed, non-readable email or postal address) in order to tailor ads to you based on your preferences and other information about you. To learn more about targeted advertising, these providers, or how you may opt out, please visit the DAA’s consumer choice page at http://www.aboutads.info/choices.
- Technologies other than cookies may be used by third parties to recognize your computer or device. These technologies may not respond to browser settings that block conventional cookies. You may opt of many of these types of technologies by visiting the NAI’s opt out page at http://www.networkadvertising.org.
- Third Party Not-for-Profit Organizations - Share Our Strength may share or rent your personal information with certain not-for-profit organizations for Share Our Strength’s mission-related purposes, such as to help to develop a database of childhood hunger advocates, or to identify local activists for a joint advocacy event. To opt-out, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Third Party Marketing and Commercial Vendors - From time to time, Share Our Strength may share your information with its corporate partners, licensees and other commercial vendors as a means to support its mission. To opt-out, please contact us at email@example.com. Under California’s “Shine the Light” law, California residents may opt-out of disclosing their personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes. We will not share your personal information unless you opt-in, and you can opt-out later if you change your mind.
Share Our Strength and its campaigns have a variety of programs for children. We hope that children and parents will visit our websites, use our mobile apps together and participate in our programs, so they can jointly learn about the No Kid Hungry Campaign and opportunities for children to participate. We may ask a child to provide certain information for notification and security purposes, including a parent or guardian’s email address and the child’s first name and gender. We also may ask for birth dates from children to validate their ages. We will not require a child to provide more information than is reasonably necessary in order to participate in an online activity.
Consistent with the requirements of Child Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), with respect to any program that may be of interest to children, or in any instance where we ask for age and determine the user is age 12 or under, we will ask for a parent or guardian e-mail address before we collect information. If you believe your child is participating in an activity that collects personal information and you or another parent/guardian have NOT received an email providing notice or seeking your consent, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the event Share Our Strength wishes to collect personal information from a child, COPPA requires that we first seek a parent or guardian’s consent by email. In the email we will explain what information we are collecting, how we plan to use it, how the parent can provide consent, and how the parent can revoke consent. We will not use parent emails provided for parental consent purposes to market to the parent, unless the parent has expressly opted in to email marketing or has separately participated in an activity that allows for such email contact. If we do not receive parental consent within a reasonable time, we will delete the parent contact information and any other information collected from the child in connection with that activity.
On occasion, in order to respond to a question or request from a child age 12 and under, we may need to ask for the child’s online contact information, such as an email address. We will delete this information immediately after responding to the question or request. In connection with certain programs or activities, we may collect a child’s online contact information, such as an email address, in order to communicate with the child more than once. In such instances we will retain the child’s online contact information to honor the request and for no other purpose such as marketing. Whenever we collect a child’s online contact information for ongoing communications, we will simultaneously require a parent email address in order to notify the parent about the collection and use of the child’s information, as well as to provide the parent an opportunity to prevent further contact with the child
On some occasions a child may be engaged in more than one ongoing communication, and a parent may be required to “opt-out” of each communication individually.
We may also share information with our service providers if necessary for them to perform a business, professional, or technology support function for us. We may disclose personal information if permitted or required by law, for example, in response to a court order or a subpoena. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we also may disclose personal information collected from children (i) in response to a law enforcement or public agency’s (including schools or children services) request; (ii) if we believe disclosure may prevent the instigation of a crime, facilitate an investigation related to public safety or protect the safety of a child using our sites or applications; (iii) to protect the security or integrity of our sites, applications, and other technology, as well as the technology of our service providers; or (iv) enable us to take precautions against liability.
At any time, parents can refuse to permit us to collect further personal information from their children in association with a particular program and can request that we delete from our records the personal information we have collected in connection with that account. Please keep in mind that a request to delete records may lead to a termination of participation in a program.
If you have any questions about our collection of information from children, please contact us at email@example.com.
Share Our Strength
1030 15th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
This document was last updated on September 27, 2018.