What inspires you to work with Cooking Matters? Is it your love of cooking? Your passion for nutrition? That you want to help end childhood hunger as a part of the No Kid Hungry Campaign?
By volunteering with us, you will have a direct role in helping to achieve the goals of Cooking Matters and the No Kid Hungry campaign.
Cooking Matters’ goals are:
- To improve the nutrition knowledge, eating habits, cooking skills, food safety practices, food resource management, and financial planning skills of people at risk for hunger so that they can better provide for themselves and their families.
- To provide chefs, nutritionists, and others who are committed to ending childhood hunger with a tool for getting involved in their communities and sharing their skills.
To read more about what we do click HERE.
Cooking Matters volunteers are the key to bringing the program to our participants. As a volunteer, you will likely be working directly with one of Share Our Strength’s Local Program Partners.
Share Our Strength’s local program partners are nonproﬁts, community groups, and public organizations across the country that provide Cooking Matters programming to low-income families in venues that are convenient and familiar to them. They offer six-week cooking courses or Cooking Matters at the Store tours in their service area. In Colorado and Massachusetts, Share Our Strength operates the Cooking Matters programs directly.
These partners use curricula and materials that are developed and maintained by Share Our Strength. Your role in the classroom is to bring the information in the curricula to life. How well you use the available resources, manage the classroom, and connect with your audience will make the difference between a good class and a great class.
In this section you’ll read about:
- what you can do to effectively provide nutrition and culinary information
- the competencies an instructor should have to be most successful
- the resources that are available to support you as a volunteer
- the things you can do in the classroom to create success