The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) helps give more than 23 million children the healthy food they need every day.
Buying healthy and delicious food on a SNAP budget is possible, with a few key shopping strategies.
Here are five tips to stretch your food dollars:
- Compare unit prices at the store to find the best bargain.
- Learn how to waste less food.
- Buy produce in its most whole form.
- Choose lower-cost proteins like eggs, beans and lentils. Prepare them in delicious dishes like Frittata, Pasta with Greens and Beans and Barley and Lentil Soup.
- Consider using canned and frozen fruits and vegetables, which may be more affordable.
SNAP is the most effective anti-hunger program for kids. If you are one of the millions of Americans who has used SNAP or food stamp benefits to help feed you and your family, please share your story. Visit NoKidHungry.org/ProtectSNAP.