Any individual can lead a Cooking Matters at the Store tour in any community, anywhere people shop for food.
Tour leaders include staff or volunteers from local and regional social service agencies, supermarket employees, faith leaders, chefs, nutrition experts and others who know that healthy food doesn’t have to break the bank.
Training and Materials
Share Our Strength provides free training and materials for all tours, with generous support from our national sponsor, Walmart.
Tour leaders complete a self-guided and individualized training on our online Learning Space, where they can connect with other leaders across the country and find resources to make their tours a success.
After completing the training and setting up their tour, leaders receive a ringed flip book with talking points that are divided by the section of the store allowing them to rearrange the sections to match the layout of the store hosting the tour. It also includes information on MyPlate as a tool to plan and guide your shopping decisions through the store, and each section comes with objectives, suggested timing, key talking points and skills to cover and practice with tour participants.
Tour leaders are also able to order free participant materials through the Learning Space.
Share Our Strength provides:
- Interactive online and on-going training
- Participant booklets with tips and recipes
- Reusable grocery bags
- Interactive and on-going training
- Technical support
- Tour leader flip books and planning guides
- Template recruitment flyers and communications materials
The tour leader is responsible for:
- Completing an online training
- Ordering tour materials
- Recruiting participants
- Forming a partnership with a local grocery store to host the tour
- Reporting tour reach to Share Our Strength by returning participant surveys and tour reporting forms