Help young children learn to love healthy food.
Exploring Food Together is a toolkit of simple activities that adults who work with young children can use, in the classroom or in the home, to help kids learn about new foods and start building the skills to make healthy food choices. All of the toolkit activities were designed to integrate with overall curriculum objectives in early childhood education settings. The educator guide is designed to support a wide range of potential users, such as early childhood educators and nutrition staff, community nutritionists, culinary professionals, Extension agents, and environmental educators serving families in need. Parents will also enjoy doing these activities with their kids at home.
- Field-tested, easy-to-use activities centered around 5 basic food concepts:
- Food Identification and Tasting: Name That Food
- Food Purchasing: Supermarket Hot and Cold
- Food Preparation: Imaginary Cooking
- Food Origins: We Eat Tops and Bottoms!
- Food Culture: Exploring Tables Around the World
- Ten food-based activity plans that can be modified slightly to yield a fun activity for every day of the year. Every activity plan includes a materials list, activity instructions, a recommended books list, and nutrition education and early learning objectives.
- Kid-friendly, interactive recipes with Child and Adult Care Food Program crediting guidelines.
- Pages and pages of food images to use with the activities! To download color pictures of 25 food images to use with the toolkit, please click here. Instructions to download them are listed below each image.